Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Blog Every Day in May: A Piece of Advice


My advice: Learn to Say NO! 

This sounds harsh I know, but it is completely freeing for me to not feel like I have to do everything that everyone asks me to do. Whether this be family, friends, co-workers, etc. I have to work on this though, and here is why. I LOVE TO HELP OTHERS! It makes me feel worth it and successful when I am able to do more than what is my "required". 

This has gotten me into trouble before though: I have over committed myself, over booked myself, and undermined myself. Not on purpose of course but I would say yes and forget to put it on my calendar, so I would say yes to a second thing and then STRESS out because I didn't know what to do. 

Here is what I do to manage myself:

  • Outlook Calendar - connected to my iPhone - I schedule literally everything, my work outs, meetings, reminders- if I need to bring something or remember to do something - this way I get it at on my phone, computer, pretty much any technology devise I have.
  • Email myself to do list before I go to bed - Anything I need to do the next day, I write myself an email and send it to myself before I go to bed, so the stuff can be out of my head while I sleep and the first thing on my mind when I get to work.
These two things have helped me keep track of everything I want to accomplish in a day. Working out was one of the main things I wanted to work on this year, I would have issues remembering to go or would get "too busy" to get a workout in. When it is scheduled on my calendar, I do it unless I'm really sick.

When someone asks me to do something after work on a workout day, I don't forget that I planned a workout for that day, and ask them to go when I'm done. It has been so helpful. 

I still have growing to do but I do feel that my stress level is so much better with everything written down.


5 comments:

  1. Haha. This was perfect for me to read today. I need to learn this. I wonder if I ever will. I'm a people pleaser and sometimes it's so hard to say no to someone. But, your post is so so true. Thanks for sharing this! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! This plagues most women as a whole as we feel we're supposed to do everything and help everyone. The calendar certainly helps, but that email idea is GENIUS! I often stress in bed worried I will forget something. I will have to rip a page from your book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds silly but it truly is the best thing I ever started doing!! Helps me really clear my head.

      Delete
  3. Such good advice!! I have a tendency to give in and say yes, but I always try to remind myself not to overextend myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good!! You'll have to share your techniques :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I love hearing from you. If you need anything please let me know mandymission@gmail.com